Lumsden is a vibrant, growing community of 1631 people, located in the heart of the Qu’Appelle Valley, 27 kms northwest of Regina on the Highway #11. A 15 minute drive can get you to the shores of Last Mountain Lake. Recognized nationally by Harrowsmith magazine in 2002 as the “prettiest” town in Saskatchewan. Home of the provincial champions; the Lumsden Monarch hockey team and Lumsden Cubs baseball and many talented artists.
Lumsden’s country atmosphere makes it an ideal place to raise a family. Housing is affordable and all homes, are in safe, quiet neighborhoods that are within easy walking distance to parks, churches, playgrounds, stores, recreation facilities, and a full K-12 school system. A flourishing market gardening industry surrounds the town; and as breathtakingly beautiful the landscape may be, it is the people of Lumsden that make it a special place. A town of family and friends, Lumsden is determined to maintain the highest standards of service and opportunity. It is a town forever eager to welcome new families and make new friends.
Step into a country pace in the Qu’Appelle Valley and enjoy Lumsden and all of its amenities.
Private Dwellings: 695
There are just over 1800 people that call Lumsden home, plus the residents of the numerous acreages and farms in the surrounding countryside. Lumsden Elementary School (LES) hosts 438 students in Grades K to 8 and Lumsden High School (LHS) draws also from the surrounding towns to add up to 375 students in Grades 9 – 12.
For information on local weather go to http://www.weatheroffice.com, click on Saskatchewan, then click on both ‘Regina’ (on the map) and ‘Last Mountain Lake’ (on the list of locations), since Lumsden is between these two areas.
1881 Lumsden was commonly known as “Happy Hollow”.
1889 Canada Pacific Railroad selects area to build rail line. Happy Hollow renamed after CPR Chief Engineer, Hugh D. Lumsden.
1889 Lumsden incorporated as a Village (January 10).
1892 Thomas Hill opened the General Store and the Canada Post Office was opened. Soon after, a blacksmith shop and implement agency were established. Grain elevators were erected.
1897 First Doctor opened for business.
1900 Newspaper began publication.
1904 Flour Mill opened. First major flood 1904 Flood Photo Gallery.
1905 Lumsden incorporated as a Town (March 15).
1900-1910 Building boom – many stately brick homes and businesses were built, including Balfour’ s General Store, hotel, and United Church.
1900-1950 Lumsden is a thriving farm service centre. Described as one of the best farming districts in Saskatchewan. Population was approximately 500 people.
1961 Highway #11 diverted around Lumsden.
1962 Water/sewer infrastructure installed. Lumsden begins evolution as a commuter town.
1963 Lumsden High School (LHS) opens. Academic and athletic excellence has been a Hallmark of Lumsden High School since its inception. LHS has received numerous academic awards. Girls’ and boys’ volleyball, curling, golf, wrestling, football, track and field, and cross-country running have won provincial championships.
1970 Lumsden Community Centennial Centre (Hall) constructed.
1974 Highest water levels in history. Volunteers from Regina came to help sandbag. Decision is made to construct major flood protection works (dike) and straighten the Qu’Appelle River Channel. The dike system is one of the most elaborate in Canada. This marks the beginning of a major population growth period. The population of Lumsden has doubled since 1974.1974 Flood Photo Gallery
1987 Lumsden Duck Derby inaugural race. Funds to go to the construction of the new Lumsden Sports Centre.
1992 Lumsden Sports Centre opens.
2001 New public works and firehall facility, as well as new fire truck.
2002 Plans for new water treatment plant.
2004 Duck Derby continues to be a success having generated about $400,000 in profits. All proceeds go to capital projects at Lumsden Sports Centre. Lumsden Arts Council was established with the help of artist in residence. Centennial committee formed to plan celebrations for 2005. Water Treatment Plant Constructed.
2009 New RiverPark building constructed in RiverPark Campground
2011 High water event. The Town monitored water levels in the Qu’Appelle River closely. The James Street Bridge was closed and sandbagged for just over a week until levels receded. 2011 Flood Event Photo Gallery