Development & Building Permits


What is the Difference Between a Development Permit & Building Permit

Development permits relate to community planning; specifically, what can and cannot be done on or to a property. Regulations for development are found in our Zoning Bylaw (ZB) and Official Community Plan Bylaw (OCP). The ZB and OCP and are regulated by The Planning and Development Act, 2007.

Building Permits relate to the construction of structures and the regulations are found in our Building Bylaw. The Building Bylaw is regulated by The Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards (UBAS) Act, including The National Building Code.

For further information regarding permitted, discretionary and prohibited uses please refer to the Town of Lumsden’s Zoning Bylaw 15/2002 and its amendments. Zoning for all properties in the municipality can be found on the “Zoning District Map” within the Zoning Bylaw. Regulations for each district will be found in the corresponding sections. Please note that some amendments have been made to the Zoning Bylaw.  For more information regarding building or development or to schedule a pre-application meeting/phone call, please contact Jessica at [email protected].

Development Permit Applications:

Subject to the Town of Lumsden Zoning Bylaw, a Development Permit authorizes a development or the use of a building or site for the purpose & intent stated in the permit. A Development Permit is required when carrying out of any building, engineering, mining, or operations in, on, or over land, or making of any material change in the use or intensity of use or any building, or land, and shall include, but not be limited to, excavating, filling, grading or drainage of land.

Development Permits FAQ

Town Development Application – fillable

Permitted Use Development Permit Flow Chart


Development Information Guides


Home Based Businesses

Town of Lumsden Swimming Pools Brochure


Town of Lumsden Residential Signage Brochure

Town of Lumsden Minor Variance Brochure

Town of Lumsden General Zoning Information Brochure

Municipal Boulevard Lease Guidelines with Application

Municipal Boulevard Lease Application fillable

More guides coming soon, check this page often for updates.

Building Permit Applications:

No person shall commence or cause to be commenced the construction, addition, alteration, renovation, repair, relocation, change of occupancy or use,  or reconstruction of a building without first obtaining a valid Building Permit from the Town of Lumsden. Failure to do so, may result in the issuance of a “Stop Work Order”. Construction that commences prior to issuance of a Building Permit will be subject to a special inspection fee. The special inspection fee will be double the amount of the Building Permit had it been taken out prior to construction.

Once a Development Permit is issued, applicants can prepare their building permit submission. Professional Building Inspections Inc. (PBI), have been contracted by the Town of Lumsden to perform building inspections. Development and building permit applications and payments should be submitted to the municipal office, not directly to PBI.

Once building permit submissions are received by the Planning & Development Department, the submission will be checked for completeness and subsequently sent to PBI for a Plan Review. Once the Plan Review is completed, If the proposal complies with The Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act and the National Building Code of Canada, you will be contacted by the Planning & Development Department to pick up your Building Permit, Plan Review Report and pay your building permit fees.

To obtain forms and information related to a residential project, please click the following link:

Residential Building Permit Forms

To obtain forms and information related to a commercial project, please click the following link:

Commercial Building Permit Forms

Building Permit FAQ

Plumbing Inspections (Saskatchewan Health Authority) – 306-766-7704

Plumbing Permits Available at the Lumsden Municipal Office. To be completed in the office by the Journeyperson. The Health Inspector will pick up the permits from the office.

Electrical & Gas Permits (SaskPower & SaskEnergy) – 1-888-757-6937, Option #5



Overweight Vehicle Permit Fillable

Please see Traffic Bylaw No. 2021-09 for weight restriction